Social Impact Driven Goals

Gender Equality

The Problem

Gender Equality is defined as the ease of equal access to opportunities and resources regardless of gender. In this case, women do not have equal access to opportunities, especially in Africa. Global Partnership states that Women are responsible for 60% of work done globally yet earn just 10% of income and 1% of the property. In Africa, 70% of women are excluded financially. The continent has a US$42 billion financing gap between men and women.

According to McKinsey’s Power of Parity Report: Advancing Women’s Equality in Africa, Africa’s gender parity stands at 0.58 (1 would be full parity). For the continent to achieve full parity could be 140 years without drastic action.

The overall score for gender equality is represented by a single larger dot ( ). By charting side-by-side the different dimensions of gender equality, the chart captures the relative strengths and weaknesses of each country.

Furthermore, an African Development Bank report on Africa Gender Equality in 2015 ranked South Africa number one among the 52 African countries based on three constitutive dimensions: (i) Equality in economic opportunities (ii) Equality in human development and (iii) Equality in laws and institutions. Somalia was the lowest country when it comes to gender equality.

Let’s take a closer look at the gender inequality in the world of technology. According to Adeva IT, as of 2018, women held only 25% of all the jobs in the tech industry, despite women making up almost half of the total workforce.

Meanwhile, in Sub-saharan Africa, for example, the women workforce participation rate has reached 61%, yet women constitute only 30% of professionals in the tech industry. More fundamentally, although Internet usage in Africa is growing at the world’s fastest rate, the digital gender gap has widened since 2013. The gender gap needs to be bridged asap to create a more inclusive and diverse world.

Our Approach

We cherish gender equality regardless of whether it is Zarttech, Zart Talent or ZartCyber; we ensure that women are given the highest opportunity and resources to grow and reach the highest level of their tech career. This is done internally.

Externally, we promote gender equality by ensuring that we offer women more training spots for our Zart Academy programme which is powered by Zarttech. It is interesting to note that 70% of students joining the Academy are girls while the remaining 30% are boys.

We do this based on the fact that we require more women in tech especially in Africa and most importantly due to the essence of improving the quality of life of these women. Via the training, girls can quickly get out of poverty and start living their desired life. This is because it takes less than two years for them to become developers through efficient and robust training and instructions from experienced experts.